GENERAL INFORMATION, INSTRUCTIONS AND REMINDER ITEMS
Background Information: Tuskegee Airmen, Incorporated™ is a unique organization dedicated to the preservation of the history of African American Veterans whose service during World War II demonstrated to America that the criteria for responsible citizenship are character and achievement rather than ethnic origin. Although incorporated in Washington, D.C., the organization consists of many chapters and a National Museum at Moton Field, AL. The Tuskegee Airmen Scholarship Foundation is located in Los Angeles, CA.
Each year the Tuskegee Airmen Scholarship Foundation grants scholarship awards to deserving young men and women. Each year the number of available scholarship awards is directly related to income received from investments. Forty (40) awards of one thousand five hundred dollars ($1,500.00) will be available in 2017. The $1,500.00 awards are for one year only.
Eligibility Requirements: Applicants must be students of accredited high schools who have graduated or will graduate in the school year 2016 - 2017. Additionally, applying students must have a GPA of at least three points (3.0) on a four-point scale.
Application Procedure: Application forms and instructions may be obtained from high school guidance counselors or the nearest Tuskegee Airmen, Inc. Chapter. Completed applications must be returned to the specific address indicated on page 1 of this application or to the nearest Tuskegee Airmen, Inc. Chapter, on or before January 26, 2017. Each applicant must complete the entire application and provide all attachments listed on the bottom of the application form.
• The applicant must include a single page essay entitled “The Tuskegee Airmen” which reflects an overview of their history and how their experience has impacted the applicant personally. Essays must be typed, double-spaced with 1-inch margins on 8.5” x 11” paper. Please note, all attachments to application must not exceed 8.5” x 11” in size.
• Additionally, Each applicant must submit a two (2) page personal essay containing: a biographical sketch, educational aspirations, career goals and an explanation of why financial aid is essential.
• To validate the financial status of the applicant, a copy of parent(s)’ latest IRS Form 1040 through adjusted gross income line must be included in application package. Please do not send the entire return. If not required to file Form 1040, provide official alternate source document to verify income, such as statement from Public Social Services, Pensions or SSI (W-2 or W-4 not acceptable). SSN should be “blacked out”.
Selection Procedure: Applications for scholarship assistance received by individual chapters of Tuskegee Airmen, Inc. are screened, verified as deemed appropriate, and competitively evaluated. Application files determined worthy of further consideration are forwarded to the Tuskegee Airmen Scholarship Selection Committee for National Competition. A scholarship selection committee, composed of several members from each Tuskegee Airmen, Inc. Region, evaluates individual applications. Using a scale of one hundred (100) points, the committee considers academic achievement, extracurricular and community activities, relative financial need, recommendations, and both essays to competitively rank applicants.
Notification Procedure: Finalists (selectees and non-selectees) will receive individual notices of final results from the Tuskegee Airmen Scholarship Foundation Board of Directors.
Award Payment Certification: Scholarship awardees may enroll in the institution of their choice. Once the awardee has enrolled and started classes at their chosen institution, the school registrar must send verification of enrollment to the Tuskegee Airmen Scholarship Foundation. When the required verifications have been received, the award payments, made payable to the student, will be mailed to the address designated by the student.
Award Payment Limitation: All scholarship awards must be paid within one year from date of selection notification.
TASF FORM 62 (Revised October 2016) ALL PREVIOUS EDITIONS OF THIS FORM ARE OBSOLETE 2
For additional information on the Tuskegee Airmen Scholarship program visit the Tuskegee Airmen Scholarship Foundation web site at https://www.taisf.org
2017 APPLICATION FOR TUSKEGEE AIRMEN SCHOLARSHIP FOUNDATION
Return Completed Application NOT LATER THAN JANUARY 26, 2017 to:
PART I (To be completed by Student Applicant) I hereby apply for assistance from the Tuskegee Airmen Scholarship Foundation
Name: ______________________________________D.O.B.___/___/___ Sex ____Ethnicity_______________ Last 4 SSN_______
Address: __________________________________________________City __________________________State ___Zip______
Telephone: ______________________Cell Phone: _______________________E-mail address: __________________________
Name of High School: ___________________________________ Telephone: __________________Grad. Date: ___/____/____
Participated in: Junior ROTC Program Civil Air Patrol BSA, GSA, or Explorer Scouts
Name of College or University I plan to attend: _________________________________________________________________
Intended Major: ______________________Minor: _______________________Career Objective: ________________________
Permission is granted to send copies of this application to other agencies having scholarship programs? Yes ______No_________
Signature of Student Applicant_____________________________________________________Date: ______/______/________
PART II (To be completed by student applicant’s Parent, Parent in Loco Parentis, or Guardian)
Name: ___________________________________________Address: _______________________________________________
Number of members in immediate family: ________________Other Family Members currently attending college: ____________
Total Family Annual Income (salaries, business incomes, rents, annuities, pensions, interest, etc.): _________________________
I certify that the above information is correct. Signature: _____________________________________Date: _____/_____/_____
PART III (To be completed by School Official) Convert GPA to 4.0 scale and indicate both weighted and unweighted.
GPA ______________ SAT Score _____/_____/_______ ACT Score _______________
I certify that the Grade Point Average, SAT score, ACT score, senior year schedule and first semester grades are correct.
Signature: _______________________________Title: _______________________________________Date: ____/_____/_____
1. An OFFICIAL Copy of Student’s High School Transcript, senior year schedule
2. A wallet-size picture of the Student – On the back of the picture, put name, last 4 of SSN, email, telephone number
3. A copy of parent(s)’ latest IRS Form 1040 (2015 preferable but 2014 acceptable) through adjusted gross income line or other OFFICIAL document (W-2/W-4 not acceptable); SSN should be “blacked out”
4. Three Letters of Recommendation (From Counselors, Instructors, Community Leaders, etc.)
5. “The Tuskegee Airmen” Essay (include how their experience impacts you) (Typed, double spaced, not to exceed one  page)
6. A Personal Essay (Typed, double spaced, not to exceed two  pages)
7. List of Extracurricular and Community Activities (including Junior ROTC, Civil Air Patrol, BSA, GSA or Explorer Scouts)
PLEASE READ THE GENERAL INFORMATION, INSTRUCTIONS, AND REMINDER ITEMS LOCATED ON PAGE 2
TASF FORM 62 (Revised October 2016) ALL PREVIOUS EDITIONS OF THIS FORM ARE OBSOLETE 1